Thursday, February 18, 2021
Oh the Friars. In a 12 months of the pandemic and openings and closings, the PC males’s basketball staff appears to be the final word instance – a win right here or there after which a few losses. Simply when issues appear to be getting again to regular, then a step again.
The PC males’s basketball staff misplaced to the UConn Huskies, 73-61, on Wednesday, February 17.
The loss comes lower than every week after the Friars beat UConn 70-59.
All season the Friars have been led by large performances by Nate Watson and David Duke. When each play effectively, it’s virtually all the time a Friars win and, in some circumstances, simply one in all them can carry the staff, however Wednesday night time Duke scored simply 11 and Watson solely 6.
The Friars transfer to 11-11 total and 7-9 in BIG EAST play. Alyn Breed led the staff in scoring with 14 factors.
On the 18:13 mark, Watson put the Friars within the scoring column. Watson additionally added the staff’s second basket from the paint. The Huskies answered with a fast 7-0 scoring run. UConn led 7-4 by way of the primary media timeout.
The Friars used a timeout of their very own after UConn’s scoring run continued. With 14:01 remaining within the half, Duke broke the scoring drought with a layup. The Huskies held management, 16-10, on the 11:48 timeout.
Following the pause within the motion, A.J. Reeves and Noah Horchler knocked down three-pointers on back-to-back possessions. Every staff was scoring comfy as the primary half progressed. The sport was knotted at 16 with 10:51 left.
UConn held a 26-21 benefit on the 6:18 break. A jumper by freshman Breed narrowed the deficit to 6 factors on the 1:34 mark. Breed had an affect on each ends of the ground within the final two minutes. The Huskies maintained their lead by way of the ultimate stretch of the primary half.
The Huskies led at halftime, 37-31. Windfall shot 11-29 (37.9%) from the sector, 3-8 (37.5%) from three, and 6-7 (85.7%) from the free throw line. UConn shot 15-35 (42.9%) from the sector, 2-6 (33.3%) from three, and 5-6 (83.3%) from the free throw line. Tyrese Martin and James Bouknight had been the important thing offensive contributors for UConn within the first half.
On the 19:34 mark, Duke obtained the second half began with a basket from three-point territory. The Friars struggled offensively to begin the half and the Huskies went on a 7-0 run. UConn led 44-34 with 15:52 left to play.
UConn continued to guide, making 7-9 of its final area targets. The Friars trailed by 18 with 9:19 minutes remaining. Reeves and Ed Croswell made consecutive baskets within the paint to chop the deficit. The rating was 63-49 with 7:57 to play. UConn managed the ultimate minutes of the sport.
Windfall completed 21-58 (36.2%)from the sector, 4-12 (33.3%) from three, and 15-20 (75.0%) from the free throw line. UConn completed 29-62 (46.8%) from the sector, 5-12 (41.7%) from three, and 10-14 (51.9%) from the free throw line. James Bouknight and Tyrese Martin every registered a game-high 18 factors for the Huskies.
The Friars completed with two gamers in double-figures, in Breed and Duke. The Huskies out rebounded the Friars by 10. The Huskies additionally led for all however 1:49 minutes within the recreation.
NEXT UP: The Friars tackle the Xavier Musketeers on Wednesday, February 24 at Alumni Corridor in Windfall, R.I. The sport is about for tip-off at 9 p.m. and is televised on FS1.
- Monday Morning Sports activities Roundup: Newton’s Fade, PC Escapes, Rams Wallow, Celts Are Coming
- Duke Makes Huge Assertion in PC Win Over Butler
- PC Friars Beat DePaul in Double OT
- PC Falls to #11 Creighton – Friars Down 12 with 5 Minutes Left, Lose on Final Second Dunk
- UPDATED: PC Declares New Coronavirus Restrictions As Instances Improve
- PC Friars, Led By Duke’s 31, Win in OT Over Marquette
- PC Lets Marquette Go On Huge Time Run and By no means Recovers – Friars Fall to 3-4 in Huge East
- PC Will get Crucial Highway Win Over DePaul With out Cooley
- PC Upsets #11 Creighton Behind Watson’s 29 Factors
- Monday Morning Sports activities Roundup: Pats’ Streak Over, PC’s Chaos, URI’s Inconsistency
- PC Downs UConn – Friars Outshoot, Out-Rebound & Pressure Huskies Into Extra Turnovers
- PC Falls to St. John’s – third Straight Loss, Simply 5 Video games Left in Common Season
- PC Scores Simply 43 Factors in Loss to Seton Corridor
- Loserville: PC, URI, Bryant, Celtics and Bruins All Get Beat on Saturday
- Monday Morning Sports activities Roundup: PC’s Final Minute Heartbreaks, URI’s A number of Personalities
- Monday Morning Sports activities Roundup: Patriots WOW, PC-URI Pow, Revs’ Egg
- Duke Fuels PC’s Win on the Highway Over TCU
- Expensive Coach Cooley, Please Play the URI-PC Rivalry Sport—The Individuals of RI Might Actually Use It
- PC’s Duke Goes for 30, However Xavier’s Jones Hit 3 At Buzzer to Beat Friars 74-73
- Right here is What We Know About URI and PC Males’s Basketball Groups After First Week